Online California Teaching Credentials
Teaching in California requires more preparation than in many states, and California teacher certification is not a single set of requirements. The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing has selected an array of examinations for various areas or California teacher certification. The tests you take depends on whether you will be teaching multiple subjects or a single subject in K-12, whether you will have English-Learning students, and a number of other factors. In addition to a bachelor's degree in education from one of the approved teaching programs in California, you must pass the appropriate tests from the list below:
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET)
- CSET:Languages other than English (LOTE)-formerly BCLAD
- Single Subject Assessments for Teaching
- Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)
- California Teachers of English Learners (CTEL)
- Preliminary Educational Technology Test (PET)
- Teaching Foundations Examination (TFE)
- School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA)
- Speech-Language Pathology
California Teacher Certification: Preparing for a New Career
Online California teaching credential programs can prepare you to successfully complete the above tests and begin your teaching career in California. Online California teaching programs are particularly helpful to students who, because of work or family obligations, cannot attend traditional campus-based teaching programs in California.
According to statistics compiled by the National Education Association (NEA), California is second in the United States in the number of teachers employed (298,877) during the 2008-2009 school year, and also second in average teacher salaries ($68,093) for the same period. This represents a 3.5% salary increase over the previous school year.