Education Jobs for Former Teachers
I am currently a teacher and do not like it. What kind of jobs could I get with my education degree, other than teaching?
Education is a versatile degree. Besides teaching, education degree holders can go into education administration, journalism & mass media, public relations, and even corporate strategy. Additionally, teaching develops transferable skills that are essential in the private sector, including public speaking, leading a team, explaining concepts, and more. In general, your teaching experience should position you well for business and communications positions.
In order to decide which path to pursue, examine why you don'tt like teaching. Do you dislike the performance aspect? The organizational demands? The bureaucracy? The pay? The age group? Is there anything about teaching you enjoy?
Once you answer these questions, consider your job options. For example:
If you like leading a group, but dislike the school bureaucracy: Consider a position in the private sector, such as executive coaching or corporate management. Executive coaching--business training for working professionals--is a high-growth career.
If you like the school environment, but not the teacher-student interaction: Consider a position in education administration. Education administration ranked among U.S. News & World Report's Best Careers of 2007. Positions in higher education typically require an advanced degree, but secondary and elementary schools offer positions.
If you like the teacher-student interaction, but dislike performing in front of a grou p : Consider becoming a student counselor. This path requires a school counseling master's degree, but you can complete a program online or through your local community college.
Career change is one of the best aspects of today's economy--everyone has the opportunity to find their niche. Your education degree should open up doors for you, but if you find yourself drawn to a career a little further afield (such as PR, for example), continuing education can help ease the transition.
Refine Your Search
- Adult Education & Teaching
- Art Education & Teaching
- Business Education & Teaching
- Computer Technology Education & Teaching
- Elementary Education & Teaching
- English Education & Teaching
- ESL Second Language Education & Teaching
- Foreign Language Education & Teaching
- Geography Education & Teaching
- Health Education & Teaching
- Higher Education & Teaching
- History Education & Teaching
- Language Arts Education & Teaching
- Math Education & Teaching
- Middle School Education & Teaching
- Music Education & Teaching
- Other Education & Teaching
- Reading & Literacy Teaching
- Science Education & Teaching
- Secondary Education & Teaching
- Social Science Education & Teaching
- Special Education & Teaching
- Campus and Online
- MS - Teaching and Learning