Jacksonville is many things: It's the largest city, by population, in Florida, it's the largest city by area in the contiguous United States (more than 840 square miles), it's named after U.S. President Andrew Jackson, and it's the headquarters of the PGA (Professional Golf Association). The median age here in northeastern Florida is a mere 36 years, which is significantly younger than the rest of Florida.
All this and more makes it a great place for students wanting to attend one of the Jacksonville schools, universities or online schools in Florida. And we haven't even talked about the pristine Atlantic coast yet, stretching down all the way to Daytona Beach -- a paradise for spring breakers, but if you go to school here, it's there all year for you to enjoy (to take your books to the beach).
Jacksonville Schools and Degree Programs
- University of North Florida (UNF): This medium-sized public university with an enrollment of 16,000 students (as of 2014) offers a very interesting degree in Sports Management with a Community Sport concentration — very fitting for a city that's home to the U.S. Golf Hall of Fame. This is an ideal degree for students wanting to pursue careers in the sport, fitness or recreational programming sector.
- Jacksonville University (JU): This private institution was founded in 1934 and offers more than 70 majors at the bachelor's and master's level. JU is home to the second-largest NROTC (Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps) in the U.S., and NROTC students can choose their major. Once they complete their studies, they are commissioned to as an ensign in the U.S. Navy or a second lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps.
- Edward Waters College: This private institution is the oldest historically black college in Florida was founded in 1866. It focuses on non-traditional students and focuses on liberal arts in eight degree programs, including a dual degree Engineering and Math program supported by the Department of the Army.
- Florida State College at Jacksonville: This public university with lower tuition costs than comparable institutions in the area is part of the Florida College System, and one of its most famous alumni is award-winning country singer Tim McGraw. The university offers an Associate in Science in ASL English Interpreting degree to prepare students for careers in sign language interpreting and includes an internship.
Career and Industry Outlook in Jacksonville
According to City of Jacksonville's Office of Economic Development, Jacksonville has one of the most diversified industry bases in Florida, extending past the traditional tourism and retail sectors. Advanced manufacturing, aviation and aerospace, finance and insurance, information technologies, life sciences, and logistics and distribution tend to be strong sectors in Jacksonville.
In terms of opportunities for new college grads in Jacksonville, it's good news according to NewsTalk Florida: Studies show that employers will hire close to 10% more college graduates this year than in recent years. We have delved into the Bureau of Labor Statistics data for the state of Florida for you to compile information about some of the professions that offer the most positions in the state.
|Location||Occupation||Total Employed (2014)||2014 Average Salary||Projected growth (nationwide)|
|Accountants and auditors||72,900||$68,060||13%|
|Florida||Elementary school teachers||70,910||$47,740||12%|
Now, let's get more granular and look at the employment and earnings level for the same professions in Jacksonville:
|Location||Occupation||Total Employed (2014)||2014 Average Salary|
|Accountants and auditors||5,940||$68,160|
|Jacksonville||Elementary school teachers||5,501||$51,240|
Enjoy your educational experience at one of the Jacksonville schools and don't forget to send us some sunshine!
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, Florida, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_fl.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014 Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, Jacksonville, FL, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_27260.htm
- Florida State College, ASL English Interpreting, http://www.fscj.edu/academics/areas-of-study/communications-media-entertainment-technology/asl-english-interpreting-as
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Lodging Managers, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/lodging-managers.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Web Developers, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/web-developers.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Nursing Assistants, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/nursing-assistants.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Accountants and auditors, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/accountants-and-auditors.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Elementary school teachers, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Lawyers, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm
- Edward Waters College, Department of Mathematics and Sciences, http://www.ewc.edu/index.php/academics/academic-programs/mathematics-and-engineering
- Fast facts: http://www.visitjacksonville.com/media/fast-facts/
- Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps, Jacksonville University, http://www.ju.edu/nrotc/Pages/default.aspx
- Office of Economic Development, Targeted Industries, http://www.coj.net/departments/office-of-economic-development/business-development/jacksonville-business-overview/targeted-industries.aspx
- What Can You Do With A Major In Sports Management?, University of North Florida, http://www.unf.edu/careerservices/Major-Sport_Management.aspx